Everything about software architecture and software engineering

20070308

WebSphere thing and few words about software factories

Recently, I've ported an AXIS web service to WebSphere Application Server. Although it may seem nothing to worry about, it's definetely not!

First, WebSphere does not recommend AXIS for WS runtime. Second, J2EE deployment for a WS is not easy as deploying on Tomcat or JWSDP.

After a few trials, I've accomplished the job. However, as I always do, here is the verdict:

I've created a business logic subsystem -again- for WebSphere. It has two option with two methods: Either using JavaBean or stateless session beans, and create ws either bottom-up (start with bean) or top-down (start with WSDL). However, my AXIS WSDL is not compliant with WebSphere's JAX-RPC runtime (as expected), I created (could not be able to REUSE) the business logic.

As many J2EE projects, there are whole bunch of artifacts created and spreaded everywhere. Several config files, some java code and many other artifacts injected into AppServer. So, for instance changing a name,a mapping or something, is not easily managable.

Therefore, it immediately remind me to the need for Software Factories. I think SF for Web Service is a need for us all...Although .NET's WS approach is much more clear than Java approach. Folks at MS released a "SF for WS" using either ASMX or WCF. I've tried the WCF version and result is great (wait for WCF tutorial)

Regards,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home